How We Work With You
Our team understands that building your new home is a great investment and a big step in your life. GD Pringle Building will provide you with a seamless and stress-free building experience. To help you visualize your experience with us, we have outlined the building process into 9 detailed steps.
Step One: Meet and Greet
Meet and Greet- A phone call, coffee, whatever works for you
- Get to know you and the vision you have for your project. This can include your must-haves and maybes.
- Discuss your budget, vision and timeline.
- One point of contact to practical completion.
- We work with the client to provide practical solutions if they arise.
Step Two: Plans / Concepts and Working with the Architect
Plans, Concepts and working with an Architect
- If you already have working drawings, skip down to working drawings.
- We don’t do plans ourselves, but we have relationships with local Architects. If you don’t already have someone in mind, we can recommend one that will best work with you.
- We are happy to help with different ideas and methodology. E.g. Cladding options, pricing options etc.
- Your chosen architect will begin concept drawings specific to your requirements. He/she will take into consideration your budget as well as your ‘must-haves’.
Step Three: Concept Drawings and Estimates
Concept Drawings and an Estimate
- Our Quantity Surveyor can put together an estimate for you based on concept drawings from the architect to confirm it is on budget and in line with your vision.
Step Four: Working Drawings and a Detailed Quote
Working Drawings and a Detailed Quote:
- Once the architect has working drawings completed and ready for building consent, we can put together a detailed quote for you.
- The quote will be based on your selections and your plans for your project.
- A PC Sum (Provisional Sum) allowance can be included if you haven’t made the final selection for certain items. E.g. The kitchen bench type stone or laminate etc.
- eg. Bathroom Fixtures $25,221.54 Inc. GST
- At this stage, your plans and consent are lodged with Council for building consent.
Step Five: Prelim Work, Checklist and Disclosure Information
Before signing the contract
If there is any preliminary work to do on-site before a full contract is in place, we can get a prelim contract done to cover this work.
Along with your quote, we will give you a Checklist and Disclosure Information.
Before you sign a contract for the building works, a building contractor is required to provide you with a checklist and other prescribed information under the Building Act 2004 if:
- (a) you request this checklist and the prescribed disclosure agreement
- (b) the building work is going to cost more $30,000.00 or more (including GST)
- The checklist provides the following information from Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE):
- Become informed
- Agree on project structure and management
- Hire competent building contractors
- Agree on price and payments
- Have a written contract
- Take control
- Resolving disputes
This is some information about our company, contact information, Qualifications, Insurances in place and the amount of cover, Builder warranties and Manufactures product warranties.
Step Six: Contract and Master Builders Guarantee
Putting together the contract
- Contracts are required by law for any work completed over the value of $30,000.00.
- We can do a fixed price contract, which is done as Milestone payments throughout your build with us. Any changes made throughout the build are done as variations, which are made clear and signed off by you as required. g. An $800 tap is changed to a $600 tap, the balance of $200 is credit back to you in a variation.
- We also offer a cost-plus margin contract option. This is done as weekly, fortnightly or monthly invoices throughout your build. It is a completely transparent cost option for you, and we even give you a copy of all your subcontractor invoices.
- Both options are great. Please discuss with us which option works best for you.
- We are Registered Master Builders and we offer a Master Build Guarantee. This is completed at the same time as your contract.
- The Master Build 10-Year Guarantees have been developed in New Zealand, for New Zealand families. It’s designed to suit your modern building needs.
- The Master Build 10-Year Guarantee protects a homeowner when renovating or building a home. This is likely to be the biggest investment they make in a lifetime, and it needs to be protected.
- The Guarantee covers the homeowner for ten years and starts at the time they sign the contract. It covers them from Loss of Deposit and Non-Completion, Materials and Workmanship, and Structural Defects. A Guarantee costs less than 1% of the build cost and adds value to your property – it is fully transferable if you sell. The Guarantee provides cover not included by general house insurance.
- While the vast majority of building projects go through smoothly, things can go wrong. A Guarantee provides the process to resolve these issues. This will be an emotional and stressful time, we appreciate that, and our team are there to help guide the homeowner through it. It is a legal process; there are steps and timeframes that must apply. We pride ourselves on acting quickly and efficiently to get the issue resolved avoiding lengthy and expensive court proceedings.
- The protection provided by our Guarantees varies depending on the guarantee product, however in all cases not only does it give you peace of mind – it also makes good financial sense.
- Clients are responsible for transferring the Master Build Guarantee if they sell the property. There is a cost involved for doing this, which is paid at the time of transfer.
- If you don’t want a guarantee, we need a waiver signed at the contract stage.
Step Seven: Construction
Construction and our attention to detail:
This is where we come into our own to keep you as informed as possible and to get decisions sorted in a timely manner. You will get a weekly site meeting and phone call to ensure everyone is on the same page.
Owner Site on the App:
At the beginning of your build with us we will give you access to our App to check your project in real time. This gives you a detailed construction timeline so you know what is happening on-site and when. It is also a great tool if you are away or out of the country during your build and want to monitor the progress of you project.
The schedule for your job is a detailed breakdown timeline on the App and it lets you know what is happening.
This is a Gantt chart version of the schedule:
This is a month version of the schedule:
Daily log on the App:
We have daily logs which are filled out by your site supervisor detailing the carpentry work completed on-site, sub-contractors on-site and any notes, inspections or material orders along with some pictures.
Weekly Site Summaries:
- A Snap shot of the work completed on site for the week.
- Itemizing out change orders and letting you know about any up and coming selections required.
- Up to date construction budget and up and coming invoice or Milestone payments.
- Updated Completion dates.
- Selections required – letting you know what is coming up and a date when it is due. This means there is no pressure to make all your selections at the beginning of the job.
- Pending payments and up and coming payments.
Step Eight: Practical Completion
Handover and Practical Completion
After we have thoroughly cleaned your home, we will complete an on-site walk through with you. We do this is to go over the house and sign your practical completion documentation. This starts your 12-month defect period. We aim to have zero defects at handover, but sometimes they can happen. This gives you a 12-month period to let us know about defects and we will return and repair. GD Pringle Building believe that the best advertising is happy clients. Your final milestone or invoice is issued at this point.
Code of Compliance
We compile all the information and apply for code of compliance on your behalf, collecting all the Record of Works from the subcontractors, PS4s, Asbuilts etc.
Step Nine: Post Construction Care
After you have moved into your dream home or perfect alteration, we will contact you to establish three site visits to ensure all our hard work is up to standard. These are at three months, six months and one year after practical completion. This will ensure you are getting the best value for money. If there is any workmanship defects or product failure, we will sort this out for you.
In all honesty, if you do have an issue feel free to contact us and we will sort it out ASAP.
WHAT ARE THE NEXT STEPS FROM HERE?
Request a FREE Consultation
The first step is to have a 100% FREE no-obligation consultation with George. Whether you’re just starting to plan or you’re nearly ready to start your build, we can help you out.
Receive a FREE gift*:
A professional clean of your home valued at $1,000 leaving your home sparkling and ready to enjoy.
*When you decide to contract GD Pringle to work on your project.
Request a consultation
Our director, George Pringle, will personally conduct the session, which is normally valued at $300. However, we are offering the session FREE to people that are seriously considering building a dream home to help them make informed decisions towards the next step.